Think that making your own bread is difficult? It’s not! We’ve got a perfect quick bread recipe for you that is great for both sweet and savory toppings.
To make this whole-grain bread healthy and tasty, we’re going to use three superfoods: linseed, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds.
- Linseed, also known as flaxseed, are small seeds that can be eaten whole, grounded up, or made into an oil. They are a good source of polyunsaturated fatty acids, in particular omega-3 fatty acids.
- Sunflower seeds are popular in trail mix, whole-grain bread and nutrition bars, as well as for snacking straight from the bag. They’re rich in healthy fats, beneficial plant compounds, and contain several vitamins and minerals, which are presumed to play a role in reducing your risk of common health problems, including heart disease and diabetes. Studies also suggest that adding sunflower seeds to foods like bread may help keep your blood sugar steady due to its gradual release of sugar.
- Pumpkin seeds are high in fiber, and they can be eaten alone as a snack or added to dishes for extra taste and a crunchy texture. Besides the benefits like lower blood sugar levels, improved heart health, and reduced risk of certain cancers.
Now, let’s get started!
- ⅓ cup of unsalted sunflower seeds
- ⅓ cup of unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 3 table spoons of linseed
- 3 table spoons of sesame seeds
- 2 cups of white whole-wheat flour
- ½ tea spoon of baking soda
- ½ tea spoon of salt
- 1 table spoon of baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups of buttermilk
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- ½ cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 table spoons of honey or pure maple syrup
How to make it
Step 1: preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and coat a loaf pan of approximately 9-by-5-inch with cooking spray.
Step 2: combine the sunflower, pumpkin, linseed and sesame seeds in a dry medium-sized pan, and toast them over medium heat for about 5 minutes until they’re lightly brown. Put it aside.
Step 3: Get a large bowl and add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and whisk it.
Step 4: Get another medium-sized bowl, add the eggs, buttermilk, oats, oil and honey or maple syrup, and mix.
Step 5: pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture, stir and fold together until it’s one smooth texture. Pour this mixture into the loaf pan and sprinkle the seeds on top.
Step 6: Put the loaf pan in the oven and bake for about 45 to 55 minutes. Afterwards, let it cool for about 30 minutes.